Oklahoma law requires all drivers to insure their registered vehicles. This helps vehicle owners cover the costs resulting from car accidents. Read more about Oklahoma car insurance requirements, rates, programs and discounts.
Car Insurance Requirements
If you purchase a car in Oklahoma, the state requires you to purchase liability insurance to cover the cost of property damage and injuries resulting from the car accident that you cause. The following are minimum limits of Oklahoma liability insurance:
- $25,000 for death or injury per person per accident
- $50,000 for total death or injury if multiple people injured in an accident
- $25,000 for property damage.
Optional Car Insurance
As part of your insurance policy, you may also consider purchasing other optional car insurance coverages. Optional coverages will give you more protection if you are involved in an accident. Most car insurance companies in Oklahoma offer the following optional car insurance coverages:
- Collision – Insurance that helps pay for damages to your car in the event of traffic accident.
- Comprehensive – Insurance coverage that helps you cover damages to your car if you are involved in any type of accident.
- Medical payments – Insurance coverage that helps you pay your medical costs
- Uninsured motorist – Covers your costs if you are hit by a driver who is uninsured.
NOTE: Oklahoma car insurance laws do not require you to purchase Collision or comprehensive coverages. However, these two insurance policies are required if you intend to purchase your car through a lease agreement or car loan.
Proof of Insurance
In Oklahoma, you must provide proof of insurance when you are stopped by a traffic officer. Proof of insurance can be obtained from your car insurance carrier and must include the following information:
- Name and address of your car insurance provider
- NAIC number of your insurance company
- Your full name
- Your car’s model, make, VIN and year
- The duration of your policy.
Note: You must surrender a copy of your proof of insurance when you are registering your car. You should keep another copy with you every time you are on the road.
Insurance Verification System
The State uses an electronic database to monitor or verify the status of all registered cars’ insurances. All car insurance companies in this state must report car insurance status to be included in the database. If the database shows that your car is not insured, you will be notified and told to comply with Oklahoma’s car insurance requirements.
In Oklahoma, if you are caught driving without car insurance, you will face the following penalties:
- A minimum fine of $250
- 30 days in jail
- Driver’s license suspension
- Vehicle registration suspension.
Oklahoma Automobile Insurance Plan
While all registered vehicles in this state must have the required insurance cover. You will find most car insurance companies refusing coverage when they feel like you are a high-risk driver. If you are denied for coverage by individual insurance companies, you can apply for it through Oklahoma’s Automobile Insurance Plan. For more information about this plan, contact the hotline (405) 842-0844.
Car insurance Complaints
Oklahoma Insurance Department is the body that is mandated to handle issues related to car insurances such as fraud and complaints. If you have a dispute with your insurance company, you can get in touch with OID to get it resolved. You can submit a complaint with the Department online, by mail or fax. Complete the Request for Assistance form and send it to OID by mail or fax it to (405) 521-6652. You are also required to submit supporting documentation. When you submit a complaint, remember to fill all the required information.
Car Insurance Fraud
Car insurance providers lose significant sums of money through car insurance frauds. These loses trickle down to affect car insurance premiums. Examples of Oklahoma car insurance fraud include:
- Staging car accidents
- Falsifying car repairs
- Falsifying injuries
- Increasing medical costs.
You can help fight car insurance frauds by reporting any suspected car insurance fraud to the authorities involved through the following means:
- Online at the OID website
- By phone at (800) 522-0071
- By filling Anti-Fraud Unit Complaint Form and sending it to the address listed on the form.
Determining Your Car Insurance Premium
Oklahoma car insurance providers use the following factors to determine your car insurance rates:
- Your driving record
- The make and model of your car
- Your marital status
- Your credit history
- The primary location where you keep your car
- Your age and gender.
Car Insurance Discounts
One great way to save on car insurance is by looking for a car insurance company that offers discounts. Ask your insurance company whether they offer any of the following discounts:
- Good driver
- Anti-theft device
- Good student
- Safety device
These discounts can save you a lot of money, but the best way to obtain cheap insurance for your car is by maintaining a clean driving record.
Most Stolen Cars in Oklahoma
If you are driving a car that is always targeted by thieves, you are likely to pay higher insurance rates. This is the 2013 list of the most stolen cars in Oklahoma according to www.nicb.org:
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- Dodge Pickup (Full Size)
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- Honda Civic and Honda Accord
- Chevrolet Impala
- GMC Pickup (Full Size)
- Chevrolet Pickup (Small Size)
- Ford Explorer
- Toyota Camry.