Choosing the best deal for the car you are purchasing can be stressing if you don’t know much about cars. To help make an informative decision, consider the following:
- Keep in mind that highly priced vehicles do not translate to reliable and safe transportation. Expensive cars are also prone to damages as cheap or used vehicles
- In Rhodes Island, new cars are brought into the market between July and October. You can get the best deal during this period. You can also get the best deal during the December period when salesmen are desperately looking for buyers.
- Never sign a blank financial form.
- When test driving the vehicle you are purchasing, take your driver’s license with you. Don’t let the dealer hang onto it, as they may use it to run an unauthorized credit report.
Rhodes Island has a lemon law that protects consumers against defective vehicles. If you suspect that you have bought a lemon, you can request your manufacturer to replace the vehicle with a comparable one or give you a refund.
Buying a Used Car in Rhode Island
- Before purchasing a vehicle, have it inspected by a qualified mechanic.
- If you are purchasing in installments, be sure that you can afford the monthly installments.
- Order the vehicle history report of the car you are purchasing. This report contains detailed information about the vehicle accident history, damage and repair history, odometer readings and VIN.
- If you are purchasing a used car from a dealer, request the name and address of the previous owner.
- Make sure the VIN on the vehicle you are purchasing matches the one on the title.
- Insist on agreement contact made in writing.
- Obtain an original signed bill of sale from the seller and purchase receipt.
Buying a New Car in Rhode Island
- Do your homework well before making a purchase. Use the Kelley Blue Book website to determine the best value for the vehicle you are purchasing.
- Be sure you can afford the vehicle. If you intend to finance the vehicle through a loan, inquire from your bank or financing institution to see whether they are ready to finance you.
- Dealers are very tricky people. Don’t succumb to their tricks. You have to be objective on what you want.
- Insist on having written agreement.
- Be sure to request a bill of sale.
Buying or Selling a Car without Paperwork in Rhodes Island
In Rhodes Island, registration papers are not required when purchasing or selling a car. You only need a title to complete the sale if the car model is newer than 2000. Buyers should beware of sellers who sell vehicles without titles. Sellers who don’t have titles may be having the ownership of that vehicle illegally. If the title is missing, lost or torn out, you can apply for a duplicate copy and then proceed with the sale.