If you need to request your driving history or another driver’s driving history in Minnesota, you need to order it via the Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS). You can use your driving record in the following ways:
- As a background check or part of pre-employment screening
- To investigate claims and adjust your car insurance rates
- For legal investigations and proceedings.
Types of MN Driving Records
The Minnesota DMV contains the following types of driving records:
- Certified driving records
- Non-certified driving records.
What Is Included in Your Driving Record?
There are 4 categories of information in your Minnesota driving record:
- Public information — available to anyone and it includes: The status of your MN driver license, your zip code, convictions, outstanding fees and fines, your weight, height, eye color and hair color
- Restricted information — available to you and other requestors authorized by law. It includes your name, date of birth, address, MN driver’s license number
- Private information — available to you and authorized requestors, and includes your social security number (SSN), disability information, leased vehicle information, designated caregiver information and Medical information
- Confidential information — available only to authorized Minnesota DMV employees. It includes all Information submitted by your family members describing your ability to drive.
Your MN driving record has the following information:
- Driver license suspensions
- Traffic accidents
- Driver license revocations
- Driver license cancellations
- Traffic violations.
All of the above can lead to mandatory attendance at a traffic school, fines, fees and increased insurance rates.
Employer, Insurance Company & Attorney Requests
The following categories request someone else’s driving record:
- For official business by Government agencies
- Business and employers verifying personal information for employees background checks
- For use in criminal, civil or administrative proceedings in state, federal or local courts
- Insurance agencies adjusting insurance policies or investigating claims.
Someone else’s MN driving record can be ordered by mail or in person. However, it can’t be ordered online.
Order by Mail or in Person
You’ll need the following to order MN driving record in person or by mail:
- A completed DVS Records Request (Form PS2502). Include the driver’s personal information, your mailing address and company information and the reason for your request.
- A completed Multiple Record Supplement (Form PS2502A). This is when you are requesting multiple driving records.
Take the above to your local MN DVS office, or mail it to: Driver and Vehicle Services Records Unit 445 Minnesota St, Suite 161 St Paul, MN 55101 NOTE: If you have written permission from other drivers, you can request their driving records. You must also hand in an Authorization Form (Form PS2506) from them to qualify for your request.
Order Your Own Minnesota Driving Record
Your Minnesota driving record can be ordered either by mail or in person. You will require:
- A completed DVS Records Request (Form PS2502). Include your full name, date of birth, MN driver’s license number
Then you need to take the above to your local Minnesota DMV office or you may mail it to: Driver and Vehicle Services Records Unit 445 Minnesota St, Suite 161 St Paul, MN 55101
Fees for MN Driving Records
Different types of Minnesota driving record attract different fees as shown below:
- Your own certified driving record: A fee of $10
- Your own non-certified driving record: A fee of $9
- Another driver’s certified driving record: A fee of $10.50
- Another driver’s non-certified driving record: A fee of $9.50.
Accepted Payment Methods
Contact your local Minnesota DMV office to confirm accepted payment methods if you are requesting a Minnesota driving record in person. For mailed-in applications, you need to pay by check to “Driver and Vehicle Services”.
Correct Your Driving Record in Minnesota
Contact the Minnesota DPS Driver and Vehicle Services if you think information on your MN driving record is incorrect. Visit your local Minnesota DPS offices either in person or call them at: (651) 215-1328 OR (651) 282-6555 (for customers with impaired hearing).
Keep Your Information Private
You’ll need a completed Private Data Request form (PS33202) to keep your name and home address private on your MN driving record. Then, return the form in person to your local Minnesota DMV office or otherwise you can mail it to: Driver and Vehicle Services 445 Minnesota St Suite 190 St Paul MN 55101